In the United States and other developed countries, obesity reached epidemic proportions.
Actually, the fight against obesity is the main task of modern medicine. Today, huge sums of money are invested in obesity treatment all over the world.
- It happens very often that obesity develops in people with genetic disorders. When obesity is caused by some genetic risk factors, patients are prescribed bariatric anti-obesity treatment as a rule.
Such a method of anti-obesity treatment really helps to lose weight in short time. However, bariatrics is quite expensive type of therapy, which is why this method is not affordable for obese patients with low income.
In addition, bariatric surgery is contraindicated to many people, who suffer from obesity.
- Therefore, the development of effective and more importantly safe anti-obesity drugs stays an issue of the day for many pharmaceutical companies.
Pharmacotherapy of obesity is usually based on one or several principles of pharmacological action.
Suppression of appetite.
Blockage of fat absorption in the gastrointestinal tract (GIT).
Increase of basal metabolism.
The effect of pharmacotherapy is reached within several weeks after the onset of treatment.
- Using some extra methods (change of lifestyle, diet therapy) increases the effect of pharmacotherapy.
Weight loss by 2-5% per month is a normal result for the pharmacotherapy. One can achieve this result by means of weight loss medications, for example Orlistat or Sibutramine.
Orlistat diet pills
Orlistat Mechanism of action
- Orlistat pharmacological effect is to prevent the fat absorption in the gastrointestinal tract (GIT). Thanks to Orlistat, fats that come into the GIT with food are excreted from the body unchanged.
Orlistat may cause side effects. These adverse events occur due to excretion of a large amount of fat with feces.
Clinical trials have proven that Orlistat not only provides weight loss, but also helps to:
- Reduce waist size
- Reduce the blood glucose levels
- Lessen the plasma cholesterol levels
- Reduce the risk of hyperlipoproteinemia
The most common gastrointestinal side effects are:
- Excessive gas accumulation in the intestines (flatulence)
- Frequent defecation, up to several times a day
- Oily discharge with feces
- Fecal and gases incontinence
Regular application of Orlistat may affect the absorption of some vitamins in the GIT. Therefore, nutritionist should prescribe his patient some multivitamin complex, containing A, D, E, K vitamins in addition to Orlistat drug.
Sibutramine diet pills
In addition, Sibutramine may cause severe cardiovascular pathologies. That is why; this anorexigenic drug is no longer available in some countries. Sibutramine diet pills were discontinued in many industrially developed countries in 2010.
Perspectives of pharmacological obesity treatment
- Considering many lacks of anti-obesity drugs, new drugs are developed. Different rumors about the release of new weight loss drugs appear from time to time.
- Every year, the FDA accepts applications for registration of anti-obesity drugs, developed by pharmaceutical companies and biotechnology laboratories.
- For instance, biopharmaceutical company Zafgen is developing a new anti-obesity drug, planning to release it within the USA. Technical name of this drug is Beloranib. The first stage of Beloranib drug clinical trials completed.
- The result of these trials demonstrated that Beloranib provides 1 kg weight loss per week. Just as many other weight loss drugs, available on the U.S. market, Beloranib suppresses the appetite and helps to refuse from large portions of food.
Global epidemic of obesity is a biologic, chronic and relapsing disease, which requires a long-term pharmacological treatment. Up to date, there are no known super-effective prescription weight loss drugs that can reduce your body weight without potential threat for patient’s health.
The only alternative means to unsafe anti-obesity drugs are: